Photobucket

noteworthy...

Lincoln and I have always had a love/hate relationship.  Is that OK, for me to admit I have a love/hate relationship with one of my own children???


He was born letting us know his opinions and he hasn't stopped for 9 and a half years.  


But there is just something so  {dare I say} remarkable about this often aggressive, grumpy, lazy, hard to understand, boy!  He has so much depth to his soul I don't know if I'll ever figure him out.  




But tonight.  This one night.  I. am. celebrating.




He is on track break right now and having a bit of a hard time.  Not a lot of friends are around to play with.  His favorite pastime, as of late??? {you guessed it}, antagonizing his sisters and cousins {any girls really. he does not discriminate}.


Somehow, tonight we ended up with just Lincoln, Bob, and me at the dinner table {this NEVER happens. Actually come to think of it, Owen was there. He was just so busy shoveling his face, we didn't even notice him}.  It was the most enjoyable family dinner we have had in a long time {maybe we should've stopped with one. Relax.obviously joking. I wouldn't trade the other 3 in for anything}.  The conversation flowed. There was no bickering.  He ate all of his food and thanked me profusely for the marvelous cuisine {store bought tortellini.  Sidenote--Why do I bother making extravagent meals?  It's always the ones that require the least effort that get the best reviews.  I should probably look into that more.  Maybe I'm not as good at cooking as I thought}!


After dinner I simply asked Lincoln to clear the dishes.  He proceeded to not only clear the dishes, but wipe off the table, wash down the high-chair {still dirty from lunch.  he informed me he found an old crunchy meatball in the high chair. We haven't had meatballs for weeks.  SICK.}, sweep the floor, and put away the food without being asked!  {Another thing that never happens}!  He told me that he loves helping me and wants to clean the kitchen with me every day.  I'm not foolish enough to believe he will actually feel this way tomorrow.  But today was enough to hold me over for a while.  He will still have chores to do.  I will still have to nag him to get them done.  But at least I know he has compassion and a desire to help.  A desire to obey his mother {sometimes I more than wonder about this one}.  No matter how deep down, it's there somewhere and...




I will never give up on this remarkable boy!




I had a million and twelve things to do tonight, but instead Lincoln and I got a McDonald's ice-cream cone and went to Lowe's together. 


I love seizing the moment.  


Had I waited until tomorrow, it wouldn't have had the same impact.  My children need me to be available to them.  They need my undivided attention, at least some of the time.  I will often grab just one child and run to the store, or take them to get a Sonic drink {my guilty pleasure}.  I hope they will remember these little things because I know I will. I try not to dwell on it.  But they really are growing up TOO fast {I wish I could remember this feeling I have right now when I am cursing them for finding an entire roll of paper towels in the toilet. or every article of clothing they own off the hangers and out of the drawers and thrown onto the floor.  or hundreds of papers cut into tiny bits.  or finding that my earthly belongings have been dragged to the outskirts of the backyard to make a fort... just to name a few from yesterday}




I will remember that tonight it was a love/love relationship :). 


Photobucket


Lincoln and his chinese water dragon {lizard} meeting for the first time on 
Christmas morning!

11 people(person) love(s) me:

Felicia said...

I think it's wonderful that you recognized the need to spend that time with Lincoln. I'm sure he enjoyed it just as much as you. I remember my mom always seeming to know what each of us were needing at a certain time. Keep up the hard work :)...and treasure those moments.

Nicole said...

Great post. How fun to hear that other moms deal with PiLES of clothes and millions of cut up pieces of paper also. They wouldn't have come from your 6 year old would they???

Jen said...

How sweet Tara!!

Lindsey said...

I am glad to know I am not the only one with a "Lincoln" on my hands and clothes all over kids floors!

Greta said...

I wonder what OUR parents would have posted about us had they had blogs way back when. I am sorta glad they didn't and sorta wish they did. I remember another rather stubborn and yet remarkable child (only it was a girl.) Her best friend marvelled at how many outfits that girl could wear a day. I think I once counted 8. I am sure those all didn't make it to the hanger either. But look at what fantastic adults we became!!! (Well, at least great works in progress). I love you bunches and love seeing you in your kids.

stace said...

I so relate to this post and you know I have a son (who will remain nameless) that gives me a run for my money!

Mary said...

I love you but I'm still waiting for the big non-mac n'cheese reveal...when is it coming...i cannot wait any longer.....

Mary said...

and do I get a prize for being your 20th?

Tara said...

Yes Mary, you do indeed get a prize. What a good idea. This will take some brainstorming to figure out what exactly it will be?

Tara said...

Oh, and you should be offended that I've made you live with that mac n' cheese for so long. It's been painted over for some time now. I am going to take pictures of it tomorrow, if it kills me!

Tara said...

Took the pictures. Still haven't loaded them on the computer. Lazy, lazy, me!